Want to grow your own food but not sure where to get started?
Or perhaps you’re already a home gardener or urban farmer, but you’re eager to learn more from the Rooftop Republic experts?
Grow Your Own Food: Online Course!
This is an online course to help you get started on growing your own food – starting from an introduction to urban agriculture, setting up your garden, to building your soil, making compost or dealing with pests and diseases.
This course consists of 6 key topics, and are delivered via a series of videos that you can watch at your own time and pace, and revisit at any time you like. Videos were recorded during our most recent cohort of live webinars.
Access our programme all for a very affordable HK$250.
This programme is conducted in English.
Grow Your Own Food (Online) Modules
Chapter 1: Introduction to Urban Agriculture
- What are urban agriculture’s benefits and challenges
- Overview of agriculture in Hong Kong
- Tutorial on how to choose the right planters for home gardening
- Learn some tips to start your own home garden
Chapter 2: Principles of Organic Farming
- The problems with chemical fertilizers, chemical pesticides, and GMOs
- What is organic farming and how is organic farming carried out in practice
- How to plan your vegetable cultivation, taking into consideration weather, environment, and the Hong Kong recommended growing calendar
Chapter 3: Soil Management
- What are the properties and functions of soil
- How to measure soil pH and health
- What is the best type of soil for urban farming
- How to maintain the health of your soil
Chapter 4: Fertilisation Management
- What nutrients help plants to grow
- How to identify nutrient deficiencies
- Different types of organic fertilizers
- How to apply fertilizer to your garden
- How to make your own effective organic fertilizers at home and apply them to your garden
Chapter 5: Compost Management
- What is composting and why should we compost
- What is the science behind composting
- How to start composting at home: what equipment you need, what materials and ingredients are best for composting and what you should avoid
- How to measure your compost maturity and effectiveness
- Compost application and usage
Chapter 6: Pest & Disease Control
- Principles for pest and disease control
- Common types of vegetable pests and diseases in Hong Kong
- How to make your own safe and organic pesticides at home
Home Gardening Resources
Purchase everything you need for your garden at our online shop. We stock curated Grow Kits to kickstart your home garden, as well as planters, soil, seeds, tools, and more.
Featured Urban Gardener Stories
Get inspired by hearing stories of other flourishing urban gardeners we’ve met along our journey.