Farm Operations Manager
The role of the Farm Operations Manager is to plan, direct and coordinate the operations of Rooftop Republic. You will be responsible for improving performance, productivity, efficiency, data management and profitability of projects across all our service lines.
- Assist in the creation of the company’s Operations strategy.
- Design Standing Operational Procedures (SOPs) for Farm Operations to optimise efficiency and effectiveness. Ensure SOPs meet legal requirements and standards
- Communicate SOPs (and any other operating guidelines) to the rest of the team and enforce implementation.
- Revamp data collection process to ensure all key farm indicators are being captured efficiently and in a timely manner (# of crops planted, # of maintenance visits, # of kg harvested, # of workshops, # of participants, tasks conducted on the farm, etc.)
- Analyze data from farm operations to find bottlenecks or other issues and implement corrective measures.
- Work with Project Managers to determine and provide central support on various project needs - workflows, inventory, farmers, tools, supplies, etc.
- Direct/inform/connect resources to the respective Project Managers to facilitate smooth farm operations.
- Prepare Farm Operations quarterly budget reports to COO and Finance department for review.
- Establish and manage relationships with suppliers including farmers, instructors, seedling providers, wholesalers, etc.
- Communicate and negotiate with suppliers to land more profitable deals and achieve economies of scale
- Track suppliers pricing as well as product and service quality levels.
- Design and implement effective resource management for all procurement items – seeds, seedlings, farming supplies, planters etc.
- Provide central support to Project Managers in sourcing farming supplies and arranging logistics
- Proactively source new products and materials to meet the company’s needs. Ensure proper testing prior to procuring.
- Integrate sustainability and circular principles in the company supply chain and procurement practices
- Be the go-to person for farming technical advice
- Implement farming best practices across the team
- Design and deliver internal trainings for Project Managers
- Stay up to date on knowledge of organic and urban farming, as well as farming technologies to identify relevant practices to apply in our projects
- Participate/support in the delivery of urban farming workshops to our clients
- To recruit and grow our pool of farmers
- Establish a standardised screening/selection and appointment process for new farmers
- To provide briefing/training to farmers for new projects and ensure consistency across all projects.
- To conduct regular reviews of the farmers on their performance.
- To maintain relationships with the farmers including contracts, and ensure the best allocation of farmer resources to the various projects based on skill set and budget.
We are looking for someone who possesses the following skills and experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Agriculture or related field is strongly preferred
- Must have previous agriculture management experience
- Must have previous experience in Operations and Supply chain management
- Excellent organisational skills, time management and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills
- Good command of operational process and systems
- Systems thinking
- Numerical aptitude
- Supervisory skills and management ability
- Negotiation skills
- Genuine commitment to building the urban farming movement
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects at the same time.
- A good command in Chinese (Cantonese) and English (speaking & writing) is required.
- A proactive and independent team player with good interpersonal skills
- Competency in MS Office and operational related softwares/applications (ERP systems, farm management apps).
- Ability to work weekends where necessary (off-days to be given in-lieu)
- Have the right to work in Hong Kong. Rooftop Republic cannot provide a visa.
Candidate must have the right to work in Hong Kong. Rooftop Republic cannot provide a visa.
You may be required to work on weekends where necessary (off-days to be given in-lieu).
Interested parties, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and one-page cover letter and tell us why you’d be a great fit!
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.
(All information provided will be used for recruitment purposes only. Applicants who do not hear from us within 4 weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful.)